Thursday, February 27, 2014

Savory Split Pea Soup

So I have always loved split pea soup. Yea I was the weird kid that loved her spinach and peas.

Anyhow split pea soup has always been a fave of mine, but after cutting out meat years ago I haven't found one that I really liked.

Everywhere always used bacon or something of the sort to make it rich. And if it was a non meat version...well it just fell flat.

I wanted a savory soup!

Then it popped in my head while eating Indian dal one night (one of our faves and the recipe will come soon)

The spices gave the dal a very savory and deep flavor without meat..so I experimented and this is what I came up with.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!


Savory Vegan Split Pea Soup

2 C Dried Split Peas
1/2 Large Onion (diced)
1 Large Tomato (diced)
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp Cayenne Powder
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 TBSP Ginger/Garlic Paste 
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 TBSP Olive Oil
2 Dry Red Chilies (broke in 1/2 and seeds removed)
2 TBSP Butter (or Earth Balance to make it vegan)

* Rinse peas and add to a pressure cooker with 5 C of water (this will depend on your cookers capacity)

* Cook peas for 25 min once pressure has been established. Once cooked let cool till all pressure has been released.

* Open pressure cooker and stir peas well. Add more water at this point if needed till it hits the consistency you are happy with and set aside.

* In a heavy bottom pot (I use my 5qt enameled cast iron) heat olive oil on Med/High heat.
(If you need more oil that is fine...I usually just eye it for a thin layer to cover the bottom of the pan)

* Saute onions till they are nice and soft (5 min)

* Add in bay leaves and the ginger garlic, mix with the onions (1 min)

* Add in spices (not salt) and mix well (it should make a paste)

* Add in tomatoes and mix well. Cook for about 5 min or until the tomatoes have broke down and it makes a thick paste.

* Turn heat to Med/Low

* Add peas and salt to pot

* Mix well and cook for 8 min

* While that is cooking in a small skillet warm the butter and chili peppers, just cook on low till you have nice brown butter.

* When soup is done cooking for the 8 min pour the butter mix into the soup.

* Stir well to fully incorporate (it takes a few minutes)

* Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment