Saturday, March 29, 2014

2 Weeks Worth of Food

I have been sing links on different blogs in the past few weeks about a photo project that showed what a weeks worth of food looks like around the world.

Take a look for yourself here. We found it to be super interesting and yet sickening at the same time.

I pretty much knew from going to the market and looking at other peoples carts that most families eat all or pretty much all processed/prepackaged foods. So that wasn't the surprising part. The surprising part was how much food in general we eat compared to other countries.

We have started going to the International (mainly Middle Eastern) market for a few months now and I am always happily amused with how different it is compared to when we have shopped at a mainstream "American" market.

Say at Winco there is only myself and a few others in the fruits and veggies department. However the frozen foods and prepackaged isles are packed and have the most traffic.

At the International market it is quite the opposite. The produce and dried goods (beans, lentils, & spices) are bustling. While the other isles just have one or two people.

It makes me feel good to know that I am not the "unicorn" out there.

So back to the weeks worth of food. I actually go shopping just once every 2 weeks. But I wanted to take a photo to share of what our family eats in 2 weeks.



Now this was a "stock up" trip so the flour, lentils, Jaffas & cereals will last for a while. I spent about $150 on this trip and just yesterday I did shopping again for the next two weeks and spent $70 (mostly fruits and veggies)

Not bad considering thats breakfast lunch and dinner for 3 people for 2 weeks (then some)

We don't eat meat so I am sure that is what keeps our total so low. But for the most part we make everything from scratch and buy as little prepackaged as possible.

So really it kills me when I hear people saying they can't afford to eat healthy, they have no money for food, or they cant go vegetarian because it is to pricy. If we can do it anyone can.

It takes some planing and commitment but that is something I am willing to do so that we can stay on budget and eat well.

I hope you found this post informational and inspiring.

Do you have questions? I would love to answer, I love sharing food info!

No comments:

Post a Comment