Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Easy Homemade Pasta Sauce

So I really hate buying store bought items especially if I can make it myself. Not to mention if I make it myself it can be exactly what we want.

Thats when I decided to make my own pasta sauce. We had been buying the "Classico" one form the store for ages, but it just had no flavor and it was beginning to turn us off from pasta (is that even possible?)

This recipe take a little bit, but it isn't a slaving over the stove the whole time recipe. Most of the time is a simmer time, so go read a magazine, make a call, relax.

When this batch is done I have about five - six 1.5 pint jars.

One jar usually gives us enough sauce for a box of pasta.

This sauce also freezes well so you can make a batch every few months (depending on how fast you go though it)



Pasta Sauce

4 lbs Tomatoes (peeled and cored) or 2 big cans of tomatoes (I do 1 diced & 1 puree)
2 TBSP Olive Oil (or enough to thinly coat the bottom of pot)
3-4 Garlic Cloves (diced)
1.5 C Red Onion (chopped)
2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Thyme
(or you can just do 4 tsp of "Italian Spice mix")
2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 C Firmly packed basil (sliced)
1 TBSP Balsamic Vinegar


* If using fresh tomatoes puree 1/2 and dice the other 1/2
* In a large heavy bottom pot (I use an enameled dutch oven) heat olive oil on Med/High
* Add garlic, onions, & spices
* Cook till onions are soft
* Add all tomatoes and salt (stir)
* Bring to a boil
* Reduce to a simmer for 60 min (partly covered)
* Stir occasionally
* Stir in basil and vinegar
* Continue to cook for 30 min (uncovered)

** For the uncovered time I just put a paper towel over so that it doesn't make a mess.

*** For a thinner sauce do less then 30 min for the final cook time, for a thicker sauce cook a bit longer. The sauce I make stands up well and isn't runny on the plate.






No comments:

Post a Comment